8/9/10


When was the last time you said these two small words?

Was it difficult? Was it humbling? How about tedious?

I would consider myself a very thankful person. I would say it's just a part of my nature. I always try to thank people who help me out during my times of need and even in the little things in life like when someone holds a door for me. 

But I don't say this to brag about myself. No, I want to share what my life is now since I've taken on a lifestyle of being thankful. Really, this all connects to my love and passion for worship, and with that comes a brief lesson in etymology.

The word "worship" as we know it has its origins in numerous languages. One in particular is the word "worthschipe" (worth-ship) which has its origins with the Anglo-Saxons. Notice the root word there? It's "worth," and if we use context clues, we can conclude that worship gives something value or importance; That's worth! Now add God to the picture (Duh!). Our worship of Christ means that we call Him worthy, we think He is valuable. He's important to us.

Alright, class dismissed. If we can understand how our worship of Christ, the Holy One who indeed is worthy, it's easy to see where the idea of praise comes in. Praise simply is the action of giving worth. It the "God, You're great," "God, You're merciful." But in my time of learning and studying about worship in college, I have learned that worship is only a lifestyle once it has action behind it. 

These two words, "Thank You," fall into a statement of praise. But as I said previously, words aren't enough in order to achieve a lifestyle of worship. The truth with all of this is that this it's really only possible with God. He is the source of our praise and worship; He's the reason we do what we do and the reason we are who we are, and it's Him, through the work of His Holy Spirit who, that this change happens. 

What does this action look like? The best way I can describe it is with myself because I remember where I used to be and I see now where I am now in my relationship with Christ, and with it, my life of worship towards Him. Before, I could care less about the sky or nature. But now, I love it when there's a beautiful sunset or the sky looks like it's painted on. Before, I thought prayer was about getting my agenda across and asking for things and I rarely prayed outside my youth group. Now, I pray for others all the time and love to pray in the shower. [:-D)

I think the bottom line is that all of this, understanding what worship is, what praise is, what a thankful lifestyle is, all starts at our relationship with the Lord. Again, I don't share all my experiences to brag about me. I do it to brag about God and what He's done and is doing in my life. My prayer is that you would see this and see the goodness of Christ and see how rewarding He wanted this life to be. Most of all, I ask you to pray about this for yourself and seek the Lord. "Ask, seek, and knock" as it talks about in Matthew 7:7. Draw near and stay close to the Lord and I can tell you He will help you understand what worship is and how it is a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever your reaction, let me know. I love the attention and you purposefully taking time out of your day to read my thoughts. Thanks a million!